Creating an Instance Configuration
Instance configurations allow you to define the settings to use when creating Compute instances.
You use an instance configuration when you want to create one or more instances in an instance pool. For background information about instance pools, see Managing Compute Instances.
You can also use an instance configuration to launch individual instances that are not part of a pool. To do this, use the SDKs, command line interface (CLI), or API.
In the Console, you create an instance configuration using an existing Compute instance as a template. If you want to create an instance configuration by specifying a list of configuration settings, use the SDKs, CLI, or API.
Avoid entering confidential information when assigning descriptions, tags, or friendly names to your cloud resources through the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, API, or CLI.
Required IAM Policy
To use Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, you must be given the required type of access in a policy written by an administrator, whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. If you try to perform an action and get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, confirm with your administrator the type of access you've been granted and which compartment you should work in.
For administrators: For a typical policy that gives access to instance pools and instance configurations, see Let users manage Compute instance configurations, instance pools, and cluster networks.
You can add tags to your resources to help you organize them according to your business needs. You can add tags at the time you create a resource, or you can update the resource later with the desired tags. For general information about applying tags, see Resource Tags.
Using the Console
- Open the navigation menu. Under Core Infrastructure, go to Compute and click Instances.
- Click the instance that you want to use as a template to create the instance configuration.
Click Actions, and then click Create Instance Configuration.
Select the compartment you want to create the instance configuration in.
Specify a name for the instance configuration. It doesn't have to be unique, and it cannot be changed later in the Console (but you can change it with the API).
- Show Tagging Options: Optionally, you can add tags. If you have permissions to create a resource, you also have permissions to add free-form tags to that resource. To add a defined tag, you must have permissions to use the tag namespace. For more information about tagging, see Resource Tags. If you are not sure if you should add tags, skip this option (you can add tags later) or ask your administrator.
Click Create Instance Configuration.
Open the navigation menu. Under Core Infrastructure, go to Compute and click Instance Configurations.
- Click the instance configuration that you're interested in.
- Click the Tags tab to view or edit the existing tags. Or click Add tags to add new ones.
For more information, see Resource Tags.
Using the API
For information about using the API and signing requests, see REST APIs and Security Credentials. For information about SDKs, see Software Development Kits and Command Line Interface.
Use the CreateInstanceConfiguration operation to create an instance configuration.