Creating a Virtual Cloud Network
Before you can launch an instance, you need to have a virtual cloud network (VCN) and subnet to launch it into. A subnet is a subdivision of your VCN that you define in a single availability domainOne or more isolated, fault-tolerant Oracle data centers that host cloud resources such as instances, volumes, and subnets. A region contains several availability domains.. The subnet directs traffic according to a route tableVirtual route table for your VCN that provides mapping for the traffic from subnets via gateways to external destinations.. For this tutorial, you'll access the instance over the internet using its public IP address, so your route table will direct traffic to an internet gateway. The subnet also uses a security list to control traffic in and out of the instance.
- You or an administrator has created a compartment for your network. See Choosing a Compartment.
The Console offers two choices when you create a VCN: to create only the VCN, or to create the VCN with several related resources that are necessary if you want to immediately launch an instance. To help you get started quickly, the following procedure creates the VCN plus the related resources.
Open the navigation menu. Under Networking, click Virtual Cloud Networks.
Ensure that the Sandbox compartment (or the compartment designated for you) is selected on the left.
- Click Create Virtual Cloud Network.
- Enter the following:
- Create in Compartment: This field defaults to your current compartment. Select the compartment you want to create the VCN in, if not already selected.
- Name: Enter a name for your cloud network,
for example, <your_initials>_Network.
Select: Create Virtual Cloud Network Plus Related Resources. The dialog expands to list the items that will be created with your cloud network.
- Accept the defaults for any other fields.
- Scroll to the bottom of the dialog and click Create Virtual Cloud Network.
A confirmation page displays the details of the cloud network that you just created. The cloud network has the following resources and characteristics (some of which are not listed in the confirmation dialog):
- CIDR block range of 10.0.0.0/16
- An internet gateway
- A route table with a default route rule to enable traffic to and from the internet gateway
- A default security list. You will edit this default security list later in the tutorial.
- A public subnet in each availability domain.
- The VCN will automatically use the Internet and VCN Resolver for DNS.
This simple cloud network is designed to make it easy to launch an instance when trying out Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. When you create your production instances, ensure that you create appropriate security lists and route table rules to restrict network traffic to your instances.
Now you can launch an instance. See Launching an Instance.