Overview of Data Transfer Service
Oracle offers offline data transfer solutions that let you migrate data to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. You can also export data currently residing in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to your data center offline. Moving data over the public internet is not always feasible because of high network costs, unreliable network connectivity, long transfer times, and security concerns. Our transfer solutions address these pain points, are easy to use, and provide faster data upload compared to over-the-wire data transfer.
Data Transfer is not available in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Government Cloud regions.
Data transfer and export are supported in US East (Ashburn), US West (Phoenix), Germany Central (Frankfurt), UK South (London), Japan East (Tokyo), and Japan Central (Osaka) regions.
To simplify this Data Transfer documentation, we generically refer to Object Storage to mean that you can transfer data into a bucket in either the Object Storage tier or Archive Storage tier.
- DISK-BASED DATA TRANSFER
- You send your data as files on encrypted commodity disk to an Oracle transfer site. Operators at the Oracle transfer site upload the files into your designated Object Storage bucket in your tenancy.
- This transfer solution requires you to source and purchase the disk used to transfer data to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. The disk is shipped back to you after the data is successfully uploaded.
- See Data Import - Disk for details.
- APPLIANCE-BASED DATA TRANSFER
- You send your data as files on secure, high-capacity, Oracle-supplied storage appliances to an Oracle transfer site. Operators at the Oracle transfer site upload the data into your designated Object Storage bucket in your tenancy.
- This solution supports data transfer when you are migrating a large volume of data and when using a transfer disk is not a practical alternative. You do not need to write any code or purchase any hardware. Oracle supplies the transfer appliance and software required to manage the transfer.
- See Data Import - Appliance for details.
- APPLIANCE-BASED DATA EXPORT
- You export your data from your Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage bucket to your data center using an Oracle-provided appliance.
- This solution is useful if you have media content or processed datasets you need to share with a customer or business partner.
- See Appliance Data Export for details.
Limits on Data Transfer Service Resources
When you sign up for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, a set of service limits is configured for your tenancy. The service limit is the quota or allowance set on a resource. Verify that your service limits are set appropriately before you begin the data transfer process.
See Service Limits for a list of applicable limits and instructions for requesting a limit increase. To set compartment-specific limits on a resource or resource family, administrators can use compartment quotas.
Apply tags to your resources to help organize them according to your business needs. You can apply tags at the time you create a resource, or you can update the resource later with the wanted tags. For general information about applying tags, see Resource Tags.
Automation for Objects Using the Events Service
You can set up different types of notifications to alert you when any change happens to during your data transfer. See Notifications Overview.
To fully utilize notifications, setup events that trigger the notifications. See Overview of Events for more information.
You can also set up notifications for appliance-based import and export jobs using a CLI command. The notifications run from the CLI provides a more convenient process than using the Notifications and Events services. Instructions for setting these CLI-based notifications are in the Preparation topics for appliance-based import and export.