Launching a Windows Instance
Now you will launch an instance with the Oracle Windows image and basic shape.
- You have created a cloud network and subnet. See Creating a Virtual Cloud Network.
Open the navigation menu. Under Core Infrastructure, go to Compute and click Instances.
- Click Create Instance.
On the Create Instance page, enter the following:
Name your instance: Enter a name, for example: <your initials>_Instance. Avoid entering confidential information.
Use only these ASCII characters in the instance name: uppercase letters (A-Z), lowercase letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and hyphens (-). See this known issue for more information.
- availability domain: Accept the default.
- Instance Type: Accept the default, Virtual Machine.
Instance Shape: Accept the default, VM.Standard2.1 (1 OCPU, 15 GB RAM).
The shape defines the number of CPUs and amount of memory allocated to the instance.
In the Configure networking section, do the following:
- Virtual cloud network compartment: Select the compartment containing the cloud network that you created.
- Virtual cloud network: Select the cloud network that you created.
- Subnet compartment: Select the compartment containing the subnet that was created with your cloud network.
- Subnet: Select the subnet that was created with your cloud network.
- Leave the Use network security groups to control traffic option cleared.
- To create a public IP address for the instance, select the Assign a public IP address option.
- Boot volume: Leave all the options cleared.
- Click Create.
The instance is displayed in the Console in a provisioning state. Expect provisioning to take several minutes before the status updates to Running. Do not refresh the page. After the instance is running, allow another few minutes for the operating system to boot before you attempt to connect.
To connect to the instance in the next step, you'll need its public IP address and initial password.
To get the instance public IP address and initial password:
- Click the instance name to see its details.
The Public IP Address and Initial Password are displayed on the details page, as shown in the following image:
- To view the Initial Password, click Show.
- When you are ready to connect to the instance, make a note of both the public IP address and the initial password.
Now use the IP address and your initial password to connect. See Connecting to Your Windows Instance.