Email Delivery Metrics and Alarms
This topic describes the metrics emitted by the metric namespace
oci_emaildelivery (the Email Delivery service).
Overview of the Email Delivery Service Metrics
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Email Delivery (Email Delivery) is an email sending service that provides a fast and reliable managed solution for sending high-volume emails that need to reach your recipients' inbox. The Email Delivery service metrics help you measure counts for accepted mail, which consists of the unique emails accepted by the Email Delivery service to send. Emails are defined by the number of unique emails, as well as the number of unique recipients per message attempted to be delivered, resulting in successful delivery and blocked email. For example, sending an email with 10 recipients means 10 emails accepted.
Email Delivery is billed for every 1,000 emails accepted.
For more information, see Overview of the Email Delivery Service.
- IAM policies: To monitor resources, you must be given the required type of access in a An IAM document that specifies who has what type of access to your resources. It is used in different ways: to mean an individual statement written in the policy language; to mean a collection of statements in a single, named "policy" document (which has an Oracle Cloud ID (OCID) assigned to it); and to mean the overall body of policies your organization uses to control access to resources. written by an administrator, whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. The policy must give you access to the monitoring services as well as the resources being monitored. If you try to perform an action and get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, confirm with your administrator the type of access you've been granted and which A collection of related resources that can be accessed only by certain groups that have been given permission by an administrator in your organization. you should work in. For more information on user authorizations for monitoring, see the Authentication and Authorization section for the related service: Monitoring or Notifications.
Available Metrics: oci_emaildelivery
The metrics listed in the following table are automatically available for any policies you create. You do not need to enable monitoring on the resource to get these metrics. However, your tenancy must have Email Delivery configured and must send mail to make the
oci_emaildelivery metric space available in the Metrics Explorer feature.
Each metric includes the following dimensions:
- The An Oracle-assigned unique ID called an Oracle Cloud Identifier (OCID). This ID is included as part of the resource's information in both the Console and API. of the policy to which the metric applies.
|Metric||Metric Display Name||Unit||Description||Dimensions|
||EmailsAccepted||count||The number of unique emails accepted by the Email Delivery service.||
Using the Console
Email Delivery service metrics are currently only available using the Metrics Explorer feature in the Console. For more information about metrics, see Viewing Metric Charts.
Open the navigation menu. Under Solutions and Platform, go to Monitoring and click Metrics Explorer.
For Metric Namespace, select oci_emaildelivery.
Select a metric to view from the Metric Name field.
- Select a qualifier specified in the Dimension Name field. For example, the dimension
resourceIdis specified in the metric definition for
Select the value you want to use for the specified dimension in the Dimension Value field. For example, the resource identifier for your instance of interest.
Click Update Chart.
The chart will be updated with the metrics that have been requested.
This section includes steps to create an alarm. For more information about configuring alarms, see Managing Alarms.
- Open the navigation menu. Under Solutions and Platform, go to Monitoring and click Alarm Definitions.
Click Create alarm.
On the Create Alarm page, under Define alarm, fill in or update the alarm settings:
- Alarm Name: A user-friendly name for the alarm.
- Alarm Severity: The level of importance of the alarm when it is triggered.
- Alarm Body: A user-friendly message that accompanies the alarm notification when it is triggered.
- Metric description:
Compartment: Select your A collection of related resources that can be accessed only by certain groups that have been given permission by an administrator in your organization. .
- Metric Namespace: Select oci_emaildelivery.
Metric Name: The metric the alarm measures.
Interval: The frequency at which data is aggregated.
Statistic: The aggregation function applied for converting a set of data points. Available functions include count, max, mean, rate, min, sum, and percentile.
- Operator: The mathematical operator of the condition that will trigger the alarm.
- Value: The value that the metric must meet before triggering an alarm.
- Trigger Delay Minutes: The number of minutes that the condition must be maintained before triggering an alarm.
- Set up an email notification under Notifications, Destinations:
- Destination Service: Notifications Service
Compartment: The compartment where the notification resides.
Topic: Click Create a topic
- Topic Name: User-friendly name for the new topic. Example: "Operations Team " for a topic used to notify operations staff of firing alarms.
- Topic Description: Description of the new topic.
- Subscription Protocol: Medium of communication to use for the new topic.
Repeat notifications every day:
- Repeat Notification?: Whether or not the notification will continue to be resent if the alarm continues to fire.
- Notification Interval:The interval of time the notification will be resent if the alarm continues to fire.
Click Save alarm.
Using the API
Use the following APIs for monitoring: