You can delete a volume that is no longer needed.
- You cannot undo this operation. Any data on a volume will be permanently deleted once the volume is deleted.
- All policy-based backups will eventually expire, so if you want to keep a volume backup indefinitely, you need to create a manual backup. See Overview of Block Volume Backups for information about policy-based and manual backups.
Required IAM Policy
To use Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, you must be given the required type of access in a An IAM document that specifies who has what type of access to your resources. It is used in different ways: to mean an individual statement written in the policy language; to mean a collection of statements in a single, named "policy" document (which has an Oracle Cloud ID (OCID) assigned to it); and to mean the overall body of policies your organization uses to control access to resources. written by an administrator, whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. If you try to perform an action and get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, confirm with your administrator the type of access you've been granted and which A collection of related resources that can be accessed only by certain groups that have been given permission by an administrator in your organization. you should work in.
For administrators: The policy in Let volume admins manage block volumes and backups lets the specified group do everything with block volumes and backups.
If you're new to policies, see Getting Started with Policies and Common Policies. If you want to dig deeper into writing policies for instances, cloud networks, or other Core Services API resources, see Details for the Core Services.
Using the Console
- Open the navigation menu. Under Core Infrastructure, go to Block Storage and click Block Volumes.
- In the Block Volumes list, find the volume you want to delete.
- Click Terminate next to the volume you want to delete and confirm the selection when prompted.
Using the API
To delete a volume, use the following operation:
For information about using the API and signing requests, see REST APIs and Security Credentials. For information about SDKs, see Software Development Kits and Command Line Interface.