Managing Budget Alert Rules
You can set email alerts on your budgets. You can set alerts that are based on a percentage of your budget or an absolute amount, and on your actual spending or your forecast spending.
This topic covers how to view and manage your budget alert rules.
Required IAM Policy
To use Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, you must be given the required type of access in a policy written by an administrator, whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. If you try to perform an action and get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, confirm with your administrator the type of access you've been granted and which compartment you should work in.
Using the Console
- Click the budget that you want to create an alert for from the budgets list.
- In the Budget Alert Rules panel at the bottom of the screen, click the Create Budget Alert Rule button.
- Configure your alert rule:
Select a threshold for your alert from the Threshold Metric drop-down list. There are two possible values:
Actual Spend will watch the actual amount you spend in your compartment per month;
Forecast Spend will watch your resource usage and alert you when it appears that you'll exceed your budget. The forecast algorithm is linear extrapolation and requires at least 3 days of consumption to trigger
- Select a threshold type from the Threshold Type drop-down list. You can select either a percentage of your monthly budget (which must be greater than 0 and no greater than 10,000) or a fixed amount.
- The label of the next text field changes depending on what type of threshold you selected. Enter either a Threshold % or a Threshold Amount.
- In the Email Recipients field, enter one or more email addresses to receive the alerts. Multiple addresses can be separated using a comma, semicolon, space, tab, or new line.
- Enter the body of your email alert in the Email Message field. The text of the email message cannot exceed 1000 characters. This message will be included with metadata about your budget, including the budget name, the compartment, and the amount of your monthly budget. You can use this message for things like providing instructions to the recipient that explain how to request a budget increase or reminding users about corporate policies.
- Click the Create button to create your alert.
In the list of budget alert rules, click the menu icon at the right side of the list and select View/Edit from the context menu.
- Edit your alert rule.
- Confirm your changes by clicking Save Changes, or dismiss the dialog without saving by clicking the Cancel button.
In the list of budget alert rules, click the menu icon at the right side of the list and select Delete from the context menu.
- Confirm or cancel the delete operation in the Confirm Delete dialog by clicking either the Confirm or Cancel button.
Using the API
For information about using the API and signing requests, see REST APIs and Security Credentials. For information about SDKs, see Software Development Kits and Command Line Interface.
Use the following operation to manage budget alert rules: