Monitoring the Import Appliance Return
This topic describes tasks to do after sending the import appliance back to Oracle. The Project Sponsor role typically performs these tasks. See Roles and Responsibilities.
You can only run Oracle Cloud Infrastructure CLI commands from a Linux host. This differs from running CLI commands for other Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Services on a variety of host operating systems. Appliance-based commands require validation that is only available on Linux hosts.
Monitoring the Status of Your Import Appliance Return Shipment
The shipping vendor notifies Oracle when your import appliance is picked up and shipped back for upload to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage.
Import Appliance Status Values
Here are the import appliance status values, listed in alphabetic order:
- You can change your mind about uploading your data to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage and cancel your import appliance. Ship the appliance back to Oracle and then cancel the appliance. Oracle always uses secure wipe tools on the boot and data areas whenever an appliance is returned.
- Oracle completed your import appliance data upload. Your data is available in your designated bucket in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage.
- customer lost
- You have not returned the import appliance within the required 90 days.
- Oracle received a delivery confirmation from the shipping vendor that your import appliance was delivered. When the appliance is delivered, Oracle provides the date and time it was received in the appliance details. Appliance usage tracking begins.
- Oracle encountered an unrecoverable error trying to process your import appliance. Oracle cannot upload your data from the appliance. To protect your data, Oracle uses secure wipe tools on the boot and data areas any transfer appliance that cannot be processed. Complete another request for an appliance.
- oracle preparing
- Oracle approved your import appliance request. The status displays "Preparing" until the appliance is shipped to you.
- oracle received
- Oracle received your import appliance shipment. The status displays "Oracle Received" until Oracle begins processing and uploading your data from the appliance.
- oracle received canceled
- You canceled your import appliance after you shipped the appliance back to Oracle. Oracle received your canceled appliance does not upload any data from it.
- You activated your import appliance. You can now copy your data onto the appliance. The status displays "Preparing" until you ship the appliance back to Oracle.
- Oracle is processing and uploading the data from your import appliance. The status displays "Processing"until Oracle completes uploading your data from the appliance.
- Oracle denied your import appliance request.
If your appliance request is denied and you have questions, contact your Sales Representative or file a Service Request (SR).
- You successfully completed your request for an import appliance. The status displays requested until Oracle approves your appliance request.
- return shipped
- Oracle received confirmation from the shipping vendor that you shipped your import appliance back to Oracle. The status displays "Return Shipped" until Oracle receives your appliance.
- return shipped cancelled
- You canceled your import appliance after the appliance was delivered to you or after you shipped the appliance back to Oracle. Oracle received confirmation from the shipping vendor that your canceled transfer appliance is on the way back to Oracle. The status displays "Return shipped cancelled" until Oracle receives your appliance.
- Oracle completed the necessary preparations and shipped your import appliance. When the appliance is shipped, Oracle provides the serial number of the appliance, the shipping vendor, and the tracking number in the appliance details. The status displays shipping until the appliance is delivered to you.
Reviewing the Upload Summary
Oracle creates upload summary log files for each uploaded appliance. These log files are placed in the bucket where data was uploaded to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. The upload summary file compares the appliance's manifest file to the contents of the target Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage bucket after file upload.
If you chose to upload your data to an Archive Storage bucket, you must first restore the log file object before you can download that file for review.
The top of the log report summarizes the overall file processing status:
P - Present: The file is present in both the device and the target bucket
M - Missing: The file is present in the device but not the target bucket. It was likely uploaded and then deleted by another user before the summary was generated.
C - Name Collision: The file is present in the manifest but a file with the same name but different contents is present in the target bucket.
U - Unreadable: The file is not readable from the disk
N - Name Too Long: The file name on disk is too long and could not be uploaded
Complete file upload details follow the summary.
If you upload more than 100,000 files, the upload details are broken into multiple pages. You can only download the first page from the Console. Download the rest of the pages directly from the Object Storage bucket. The subsequent pages have the same object name as the first page, but have an enumerated suffix.
Closing the Transfer Job
Close the transfer job when no further transfer job activity is required or possible. Closing a transfer job requires that the status of all associated import appliances be returned, canceled, or deleted.
To close a transfer job using the Console
- Open the . Under Core Infrastructure, go to Object Storage and click Data Transfer - Imports.
- Find the data transfer package for which you want to display the details.
Click the Actions icon (), and then click View Details.
Alternatively, click the hyperlinked name of the transfer job.
- Click Close Transfer Job.
You have completed the process of setting up, running, and monitoring the Appliance-Based Data Import. If you determine that another appliance-based data transfers is required, repeat the procedure from the beginning.